Background

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies

Happy Sunday all! I'm here with another baking recipe for ya. I came across a picture of these cookies on Pinterest (shocker!) and knew I had to make them. They are perfect for Halloween - candy corn sugar cookies. I have to say, these are by far, the cutest cookies I've ever seen! I love candy corn and it just makes me smile to see a candy corn cookie.  =)


See, cute! I bet you're smiling now too. Now I will admit these cookies were a bit labor intensive. You see I don't have a Kitchen Aid mixer or any stand-up mixer for that matter. Which meant I had to mix in the coloring by hand. I thought my shoulder was going to need ice yesterday afternoon. For reals! My right shoulder was aching while I stirred in the yellow and then the red food coloring. If you have a mixer these will be so easy for you to make. Here's a look at the process.


After my dough was made I divided it into thirds. The first third I left white and put into a plastic wrap lined loaf pan. See picture above. I patted it as flat as I could. Then I mixed the yellow dye into the remaining two thirds and added half of the yellow to the pan. The last of the yellow dough got some red coloring mixed in to turn it orange. Oh, by this point I was ready to quite! It seemed like it took forever to get that dough orange enough. But I suffered through and the middle pic above is what the dough looked like all flattened together.

I let it chill in the fridge for about 6 or 7 hours. You could let it chill overnight if you wanted. I would recommend chilling it at least 4 hours. You want it to be nice and firm once you start slicing. Make your slices about 1/4". Then just angle your knife to cut out candy corn shapes. See picture above. That's all there is to it. Like I said, if you have a mixer this will be super easy.

Here's the best recipe I've found for sugar cookies. It's from All Recipes and makes soft and chewy cookies or you could bake them a couple minutes longer if you like yours crispier. 

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
   3.  Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

** FYI - I only made half a recipe. I got probably 100 or more candy corn cookies out of it. 

This morning while taking pictures of these little cuties, I thought you could easily use different colors in the dough and round out the pointy parts to make more of an egg shape for Easter cookies. I will definitely be doing that. Wouldn't they look great with pink, yellow and white? Or purple, white and blue? Or, you could color every dough third a different color and have green, yellow and pink eggs. Oh the possibilities are endless. Just try these for now.  : )

Sharing With:
The Pinterest Challenge at Bower Power & Young House Love

10 comments:

  1. What a cute idea!! Looks yummy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!! Great job Catie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun idea! Love it:)

    Hopped over from Homemaker on a Dime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever idea. I think I would love these way more than the little candies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun idea! So cute!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. SSSSOOOOOO clever the cookies, candy corn is an all time favorite of mine, love the recipe it looks so easy...I am a new follower of yours, come over for a visit, I will definitely be back for some more creative fun ideas, I am gonna browse sone past posts now..Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are SO fun! My kids would go crazy over them!
    Thanks for supporting my blog and linking up!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute cute cute! Love this idea!
    I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the cutest things that I have seen! My boys would love these! I have to make these! New follower to your blog! Would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks soo much for stopping by!! Please don't be shy, leave a comment or question. I love hearing from you! If you'd like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. : )
~ Catie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...