Background

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blanket Makeover - Sort Of

Hi There. Hope you all had a happy Halloween and your kiddies got lots of treats. We had lots of fun trick-or-treating with some of our friends. Miss A was a fairy, again. There was also a Lalaloopsy, zombie pirate, Luigi, and the Stay Puft marshmallow man in our gang. His costume actually had a tiny fan in the back that kept him puffed up. It was hilarious!


Sorry the picture's soo tiny. Of course I forgot my camera, this pic was taken with my friend's iPhone. Anyway, everyone had lots of fun until we all got too cold. Notice Miss A has mitts on. Yeah, they're snow gloves and her fingers still got cold. She also ended up with her coat on. But hey, can't complain, there could've been a foot of snow on the ground. Check out the green grass behind them - snow free! 

Now onto my blanket makeover of sorts. Years ago I found a gorgeous quilted silk throw blanket on clearance at Home Sense and had to get it. I loved it! Then Miss A came along and let's just say when she was a baby she ate like a puppy. And we all know what usually happens when puppies eat too much, too fast. Well my blanket got washed and dried and washed and dried. Eventually the seams started coming undone and it didnt' look soo pretty anymore. I never had the heart to get rid of it and kept it for the last five years, knowing that some day I would find a way to repurpose it. About a month or so ago that day finally came. A light bulb went off and I got the idea to turn it into a throw pillow for our bed. 

That once lovely blanket turned from this, 


to this! 



Isn't it nice? I'm really pleased with it. I made an envelope cushion cover and used a pillow from a sleeping bag to fill it. Then I got out my scissors and hot glue gun and made rosette after rosette. I really, really like rosettes! Don't be surprised if my next post has something to do with them too.  ; )
After they were all made I had a tough time deciding how to place them on the pillow. I tried a zillion different ways, before I came to this. Instead of stitching them on I just used my hot glue gun to attach them. This pillow is only for looks, so I'm not too worried about it getting washed. Although, I'm pretty sure hot glue doesn't wash off easily. Never tested that, but I have a feeling. Anyhoo, once they were all glued on I added the pearls to the centers and viola! I had everything I needed to make this pillow, so the cost of this project was $0. LOVE that!

Here's a few close-ups for your viewing pleasure.





What about you, have you made a pillow out of something that your couldn't bare to part with? Maybe an old sweater, t-shirt or baby blanket? Do share. Thanks for stopping by!

Click here to enter my giveaway!! 

Sharing With:

16 comments:

  1. Very cute!!
    I just ordered the fabric to make some outdoor pillows and I can't wait! I'm still learning how to sew, so my mom will be in town to help me out. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pillow and rosettes! Great way to repurpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful remake!
    Love those little rosettes. :-)

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! So sweet and sentimental. Just my thing:) I also can't bear to part with things that remind me of the children when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, did you only get one pillow out of the quilt? that would have been nice to have a few :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't WAIT to do this!! Thank you for the inpiration :)

    found you through Primp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great, I love it! I love being able to recycle, don't you!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kids look like they had fun!

    I love your repurposing! Beautiful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! Love a simple project looks so elegant. It would have cost you a fortune to buy such a look. How thick was the blanket? What was it made of?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pillow looks great Catie, what a clever idea! Have a great weekend! Blessings Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catie, what a great repurpose for a loved old blanket. It looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way the pillow turned out. What a wonderful transformation and re purposing of your blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Classy and beautiful! Love your whole bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so charming~ love how that came out! Thanks so much for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I would love for you to share this at my party (well, one of my parties) - Turning the Daunting into the Do-able over at Project Queen!
    www.projectqueen.org
    I followed you over from DIY by Design and am now a follower.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks soo much for stopping by!! Please don't be shy, leave a comment or question. I love hearing from you! If you'd like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. : )
~ Catie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...