Today I'm sharing a family favorite of ours. We love it soo much I made this twice last week. After the second time I thought I should probably share it. This soup is simple, easy and delicious. You'll have to bare with me when it comes to the recipe. I do not measure when I cook. When I bake yes, but cooking is a whole other story. Most times I just throw things together. This soup is a good example of that. It's similar to another potato soup recipe I've shared before. I'm also sharing my absolute favorite cheesy biscuit recipe. LOVE them!!
Creamy Potato Soup
- 6 - 8 potatoes
- 1 large carrot or a big handful of baby carrots
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tbs butter
- 6 cups water
- 6 tsp reduced sodium stock mix, or 4 bullion cubes
- 2 cups milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Finely chop carrot, celery and onion or let a food processor do the work for you.
- Add veggies to a large pot with butter. Saute over medium heat, about 7 - 10 mins.
- While veggies saute chop potatoes into bite size pieces. Add to pot.
- Stir in water and stock mix. Bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil turn heat down to med/low and let simmer at least 20 minutes. (The potatoes should be tender by this point.)
- After 20 minutes turn heat back up and stir in milk. Once it reaches a boil, turn it down to simmer again. Let simmer as long as you like. The longer the thicker the soup will be.
- Once you're ready to eat, turn the heat off. Get out a blender and puree one batch at a time. Pour soup back into pot and mix in between batches. Once soups reaches the consistency you like, you're done. Salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use whatever kind of potatoes you want. Also, you can leave the skin on if you like. I always do with red potatoes.
- Feel free to use tetra packed soup stock. If I have it, I use it.
- Top with cheese, bacon bits, green onion/chives or sour cream.
- While the soup is simmering start your biscuits. Then they're both ready at the same time!
Jiffy Cheesy Biscuits
from Company's Coming - Gifts from the Kitchen
Makes 24 biscuits.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/3 cups cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Add cheese and water. Mix. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- I've used butter and margarine for these and both work well and taste great.
- Add a teaspoon of parsley flakes for some added color.
- Try parchment paper instead of greasing your pan.
You can have this meal on table in less than an hour. Hope your family likes it as much as mine does!