This afternoon while looking through the fridge at what to make for lunch I spotted the potatoes and a cob of corn from last night. Hmm, wouldn't the corn be delicious in the potato chowder? Why yes, I think it would! So I started cooking. Of course, I didn't have "blog post" on the brain when I started, so I didn't take pictures at the beginning. Oops! : )
Catie's Potato Corn Chowder
3 cups mashed potatoes
1 cob of corn or about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of corn
1 large carrot or 10 baby carrots
1 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves minced
2 - 3 tbs butter
3 - 4 tsp soup stock mix
1 tsp parsley flakes
pepper to taste
3 cups water
1 cup milk
grated cheddar cheese, optional
(Blender or handheld immersion blender.)
1. Chop carrots, onion and garlic. Add to pot with butter and saute until onion is tender.
2. While that's cooking, cut corn off of the cob and set aside.
3. Once onion is tender add the soup stock mix and water.
4. Stir in the mashed potatoes and corn.
5. Bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and let simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes. Stirring occasionally. The liquid will reduce and the soup will thicken.
6. Add the parsley flakes, pepper and milk. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.
7. Blend 3/4 of the soup. If using a blender, add the soup back to the pot and mix.
8. Serve and enjoy!! This is where I add the cheese. : )
Easy and delicious! Give it a try. You can definitely play around with it and make it your own. I've stirred in cheese before for a cheesy potato soup. And like I said, this was the first time I added corn. Bacon on top with the cheese would be great too! Also, you can vary the ingredients to make more or less soup depending on how much mashed potatoes you have.
What's your favorite use for leftover mashed potatoes? Please share!