I pinned this recipe, from Skinny Taste, months and months ago. I don't know why I waited soo long to try it, it was delicious! I will definitely be making it again. We all liked it, even Miss A, our six year old. Although she found it a little bit too spicy and could only handle a few bites before she switched to cheesy noodles. I on the other hand thought it had the perfect amount of heat. There is quite a bit of chopping, but it is soo worth it! I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch. Mmm!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
from: Skinny Taste
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 pound chicken breast strips
- 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp light cream cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt to taste
- Smart Balance cooking spray
- Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
- Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!